Working toward a cleaner, more sustainable energy future
We’ve been Nova Scotia’s main electricity provider for a century. Our customers have always looked to us to provide electricity that’s safe and reliable. But you’ve told us you want more than that. We’re listening.
More electricity from cleaner, greener sources
About 18 per cent of the electricity Nova Scotians use every day comes from renewable sources. Our goal? 40 per cent by 2020. We’re also using technology to reduce sulphur dioxide, nitrogen oxide and mercury emissions at our power plants. Learn More
Helping you use less
We want to help you conserve energy and use it more efficiently. It can be as easy as lowering your home’s temperature by five to 10 degrees at night or when no one is home. This alone could cut your heating costs by up to 20 per cent a year. Learn More
Facts about NS Power
- • We provide 95 per cent of the generation, transmission and distribution of electricity in Nova Scotia.
- • We serve 486,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers.
- • Nova Scotia Power employs 1,900 dedicated, safety-focused professionals.
- • We manage $3.5 billion worth of generation, transmission and distribution assets
- • We produce more than 13,000 gigawatt hours of electricity each year, with generating capacity of 2,293 megawatts through power plants province-wide.
- • We have a fleet of five thermal, one tidal and 33 hydro plants, as well as four combustion turbines, two wind farms and two additional wind turbine sites.
- • We use a fuel mix including hydro, tidal, wind, coal, oil and natural gas to generate electricity.
- • Nova Scotia Power delivers power with 5,000 km of transmission and 25,000 km of distribution lines.